Re: My Old Flame; was Civility. . .

Well, I was surprised, but not impressed, by the apology, because it
didn't seem like a substantive apology to me. The Kurt joke, applied, in
some way or other, to a post of mine, I find rather offensive, really. I
don't get it. I said I, like anyone else, had a gun, but was, in the
main, not shooting. You bring up Kurt, who denied having a gun, but who
in fact not only "shot", but "blew his own head off". Ok. Um...how does
it apply?

Apo-logy....A speaking out...in some way. A *performative*. Babich's
apology looked *unhappy* to me. The barest shred of an apology, which was
maybe the best she could do. Actually, I'm feeling kind of bad about
Babich, worried. Does she feel harrassed, ganged up on? Of course, what
sort of apology issues on the basis of one being ganged up on? It is not
the same as the apology of one who apprehends and feels genuine remorse
for some damage done. Priviso: Not much heavy damage was done, and in the
main probably *could* be done on this list. As my later posts emphasize,
for me, at least, these issues are important as *small* examples of
broader issues. This appears to be the same for many others, as well, and
it is being addressed that way in various ways.

The survivors who spoke of the "electricity", the "lights", the
"metal tables" and the "needles" had a shrieking question mark
in their eyes that wasn't answered by what what we were reading
in the growing volume of material that was being published.
--excerpt from The Stone Angels survivors' journal
Vol. 6 Thunder Bay, Ontario