Re: F&H / Biography suggestion?

On Sun, 4 Feb 1996, Gordon Swobe wrote:

> There is also an amusing account of Heisenberg's
> meeting with a Kantian who came hoping to rescue Kant's
> "thing-in-itself" from the hands of the quantum theorists. The
> Kantian left disappointed.
> -------------------
> gordon swobe
> gswobe@xxxxxxxxx http://www.ccnet.com/~gswobe

I can't claim to have read the autobiography, but I am dubious
here. Some years ago I read Heisenberg's book on physics and philosophy,
and his discussion of Kant's thing in itself betrayed a crude
misunderstanding of that doctrine. Heisenberg claimed that physics
showed that we could have knowledge of the thing in itself. Given that
physics deals with objects under the conditions of space and time, and
thus under the conditions in which objects can be given to us as
appearances, physics clearly does not determine things in themselves.

Martin Weatherston
Philosophy & Religious Studies Dept.,
East Stroudsburg University