Re: Freiburg inaugural

On Mon, 11 Mar 1996, Ted Vaggalis wrote:

> >By all means avoid "German Existentialism". The "translation" of the
> >Rectoral address is a translation of a newspaper digest, rather than of
> >the actual speech. The whole book is devoted to demonstrating that
> >Heidegger is just a wicked Nazi.
> >
> But the fact is that he was just that!

It is far from a "fact" that Heidegger was a wicked Nazi. Most of us
might agree he was at least a foolish or deluded Nazi, but I don't know
of any evidence that Heidegger supported the Holocaust or book burnings
or any of the other wicked things the Nazis did. Besides, if you are
reading Heidegger with any serious intentions of understanding him, I
doubt even you would want to claim that Heidegger can be dismissed
because he was just a wicked Nazi, the way the editors of German
Existentialism seem to want us to do.

Martin Weatherston
East Stroudsburg University

  • Re: Freiburg inaugural