Re: Time for Heidegger = Absolute?

Jeff,

I wouldn't want to argue this point with you. The Heideggerian view
of death as something inalienably given (albeit in peculiarly strange
way) has always seemed to me to be particularly problematic. Maybe
Heidegger read his own Kierkegaardian/Lutheran preoccupation with
death and final judgement into the human condition. I'm not
suggesting that Sein und Zeit is simply Heidegger writ large, but
that elements of Heidegger's personality run through it in such
a way that's it difficult to sharply differentiate the structure
of M. H. from the structure of Dasein. Of course this isn't an
original point.

On the other hand, I am interested in working out some implications
of your statements regarding the ability of human beings to NOT
be aware of their deaths and hence to not grasp the meaning of
death. If death is not an irreducible given, if it os not
somehow constitutive of Dasein, in what way can Dasein die
meaningfully? If onne's own death is inaccessible phenomenologically,
can it ontologically matter at all?

Chris

  • near death
    • From: dralfonso