Re: The Non-God in Heideggerian Thought

In a message dated 04/11/2004 13:24:02 GMT Standard Time, hvtuijl@xxxxxxxxx
writes:

> Henk van Tuijl wrote:
>
>>> The God who has made his way into philosophy, the God caught in the
>>> essential metaphysical history of nihilism, governed by the
>>> onto-theo-logic, is
>>> furthest removed from the "godless God" Heidegger will pass by with
>>> the "the last god/s" in "Contributions to Philosophy (from Enowning)"
>>> (2001).
>>

>>> Who are these god/s that are recognized in primordial Greek
>>> experience for Heidegger?
>>

>> The God of ontotheology is a Deus faber. The Gods of the Greek appear
>> at crucial moments in the guise of beings and change the course of the
>> lives of men and women.
>>
> I don't see your point here, even if Zeus would return how would it
> wake the people up from the nihlisticladen nightmare?
>
> And I don't think that Heidegger would even say that the God of
> ontotheology is a Deus Faber, rather Heidegger here is
> referring to Meister Eckharts Non-God. That is all our ideas of God are
> not God, God is unknown to us and we must in a
> way turn ourselves towards God and be open towards the mystery.
>
> /Haukur.

Hmmm ...

Henk

Caputo writes in relation to Heidegger's later thinking:

"This is by no means to say that Heidegger's later thinking had returned to
the faith of his youth. The mystical dimension of the later thinking is
structural affair, a matter of a certain proportionality: the relationship of
*thinking* to *Being* is structurally like the relationship of the soul to God in
religious mysticism. Thinking is directed towards*Being* not God."

So Heidegger DOESN'T say "we must in a way turn ourselves towards God and be
open towards the mystery"
He insists instead that we direct our thinking towards *Being,* which is the
*Substitute God* which he dreamed up to spite the Catholic church which he
perceived as having spurned him twice. Once for kicking him out of the
seminary, and secondly for denying him the professorship in Catholic theology at
Freiburg. It is also interesting that in 1941 he abolished the very chair of
Catholic Philosophy at Freiburg, which he himself had applied for twenty-five
years earlier, and for which he was rejected.

Regards,

Jud

Personal Website:
_http://evans-experientialism.freewebspace.com/index.htm_
(http://evans-experientialism.freewebspace.com/index.htm)
E-mail Discussion List:
nominalism@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--- StripMime Warning -- MIME attachments removed ---
This message may have contained attachments which were removed.

Sorry, we do not allow attachments on this list.

multipart/alternative
text/html
---

  • Re: The Non-God in Heideggerian Thought
    • From: Henk van Tuijl