Re: [heidegger-dialognet] Re: Real philosophy----what is it?

[email protected]_ (mailto:shaun.troedson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) writes:

Jud: [earlier]
This is NOT the case. Every Dasein perceives of beings differently in the
past, present or future. Every Dasein perceives of things [cows and
toilet-bowls] differently in the past, present or future. Every Dasein perceives of
others differently [Bush, Blair, Heidegger] in the past, present or future. Every
Dasein perceives of equipment differently, [Entertaining, useful,
mind-sapping] in the past, present or future. The universalistic Dasein is a dead duck.
The term Dasein remains solely as a quaint alternative name for a human
being like every other human being who has his or her own personal opinions of
others, attitudes towards situations, preferences regarding politics, history,
music, literature, the arts, etc

Shaun:
You are operating under a misunderstanding of what Dasein is. _IF_ we were
to define Dasein as "that which perceives", ie a fundamental formal definition,
then your argument above collapses because in each of your cases there is
something "perceiving". It's irrelevant how they use this power of perception.
This is what Heidegger does, he supplies a fundamental formal definition of
Dasein (which is not even "that which preceives" in any case) which is
something human beings are in common.
Your argument is like having a universal definition for an electron, and
then saying that this can't be so because "this electron" is orbiting around
this atom, while "that electron" is free in that metal.

Jud:
Heidegger conceives of *Dasein* as an individual existence as well as a term
standing for the human existence in general.

He says:

Heidegger:
"The explicit and lucid formulation of the question of the meaning of
*Being* requires a prior suitable explication of a being (Dasein) with regard to
its *Being*."

and -

Heidegger:
"Dasein is a being that does not simply occur among other beings. Rather it
is ontically distinguished by the tact that in its Being this being is
concerned about its very Being. Thus it is constitutive of the Being of Dasein to
have, in its very Being, a relation of Being to this Being. And this in turn
means that Dasein understands it" in its Being in some way and with some
explicitness."

then -

Heidegger: "Only when philosophical research and inquiry themselves are
grasped in an existential way as a possibility of being of each existing
Dasein--does it become possible at all to disclose the existentiality of existence
and therewith to get hold of a sufficiently grounded set of ontological
problems."

Jud:
It can be seen plainly and unarguably that the notion of *Dasein* is
envisaged by Heidegger as the disclosive or revelatory agent whereby *Being* or the
existentiality of existence is uncovered. The method which *Dasein* employs
to disclose the *Being* of beings is by consciously understanding and being
perceptive of its phenomenological appearance.

He goes on…

Heidegger: "We shall call the very Being to which Dasein can relate in one
way or another, and somehow always does relate, existence [Existenz.]"

Jud:
One need not be a hermenuetical scholar to see that for Heidegger it is
Dasein who perceives of the various beings both human and non-human with which it
shares its world, and in the process of perceiving these beings instantiates
their Being.
The world which Dasein inhabits is full of meanings and concerns that give
affirmatory content to existence. One of the characteristics of the world
structure that is most important to Dasein is the phenomenon of Mitsein. "Dasein
is essentially Being-with." Being-with-other-Daseins is equiprimordial with
being-in-the-world. The basis of Dasein's everyday sense of self, is its
relationship to Mitsein is which is not an "I" but *das Man*, the "they-self."
The lumination by which Dasein has perceives and has access to itself and
other beings is a natural human 'illumination.' Dasein is the place of
disclosedness in the sense of a perception realised in a lighted clearing.

It must be remembered that when I use this language I am only doing so in
order to be as fair as possible in my representation of Heidegger's ontology as
I can, and does not mean for one moment that I have *entered into the
spirit* of his notions. Dasein's care for its existential expectations, which
concern it - is its "mineness" (cf. Jemeinigkeit), is never removed from its
considerations; in terms of decisions that will open up individual pathways in the
course of life and all this consideration of itself in relation to the
"other" includes perceiving the other, otherwise such consideration would be
impossible. The term *Dasein* can be interpreted as an equivalence of an
individual member of humanity or it can be also interpreted as representing the
commonality of humanness. It is this duality which unduly complicates his ontology
and led to his abandonment or at least his lack of emphasis on Dasein later
in his thinking. Obviously there are unbridgeable ontological problems
involved in the conscious understanding, perception and instantiation of Being by an
individual Dasein and the conscious understanding, perception and
instantiation of Being by a generality of Daseins. His statement: "We are all Daseins
now" proves the point, for he is instantiating a Daseinic classification to
which we all belong.

His argument [as interpreted by you] is like having a universal definition
for a Dasein, and then saying that this can't be so because "this Dasein"
instantiate the being called a *cow* as something to provide milk and to eat,
while "that Dasein" worships it as a goddess.

My own analysis of *Dasein* is as follows:

(1) There exists an X and a phylum of exes such that it doesn't exist as an
X or a phylum of exes, but is designated as the existence of X. and the
phylum of exes, and that singular and universalistic designatum *existence* is
called *Dasein.*

(2) There exists a man and a class of mankind such that it doesn't exist as
a man or a class of men but is designated as the existence of a man and a
class of men - and that singular and universalistic designatum *existence* is
called *Dasein.*

Regards,

Jud

Personal Website:
_http://evans-experientialism.freewebspace.com/index.htm_
(http://evans-experientialism.freewebspace.com/index.htm)
E-mail Discussion List:
nominalism@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--- StripMime Warning -- MIME attachments removed ---
This message may have contained attachments which were removed.

Sorry, we do not allow attachments on this list.

multipart/alternative
text/html
---