Re: NEW HEIDEGGER LIST

Reg says:

> As far as I can tell, topica is an online marketing company that only
> incidentally offers email list service.

Reg, it is now, but it started with hosting discussion lists (and that's why
I remembered it), thus the name -- topica...

> Topica, for instance, "reserves
> the right to communicate with List Subscribers via email, receipt of
> which by List Subscriber is considered by Topica essential to our
> provision of service." "Topic operates an Advertising Network (the
> "Network") for lists hosted on Topica Exchange, inwhich Topica inserts
> advertisements into list email messages.

If we decide to not allow HTML (and thus attachments, etc) then possibly any
ad thing, etc, will just be a bit of text at the end? which one can ignore
as much as the footers that appear at the end of the ones here...

> All Topica Exchange
> Newsletters (also called Announcement Lists), and any existing Topica
> Discussion Lists that convert to Newsletters (Annoucement Lists), are
> automatically added to the Network and participatino is required."

I'm not sure of the significance here... does our discussion list (at
topica) "convert" to a newsletter? (defined as a list whereby only the
'owner' can communicate via email to the subscribers and not individual
subscribers to all other subscribers; is that the case here?

> Topica also inserts tag lines to each message advertising themselves.
> In other words, Topica host lists so they can spam those lists (all
> quotes are from the subscriber agreement), and they reserve the right to
> 'share or sell data'.

Again, I'm not sure of the import of this: do you mean that "topica" appears
on each message somewhere, so that it can be searched etc? The 'other'
heidegger list at yahoo groups have these tags at the end of messages: have
they experienced any "sharing/selling of data"? What would that (data) mean
wrt to the contents of a
philosophy list? And, although/if they could, *do* they spam lists?

> They say they archive messages, but for how
> long, and how much disk space are they promising? They say the archives
> are searchable, but only by members, so they are not Google searchable,
> which has been an important feature of Spoon archives.

I'm not sure, but I think that the archives are searchable by
non-subscribers (I can check and act accordingly) -- one (the owner(s)) has
to set this in some preferences window; as for how
long and how much disk space, topica say it's for as long as the list exists
and whatever space is needed; I have elected, if desired, to download the
archives regularly and upload to a website (that I'll set up) to make them
truly available to any and all, and thus be able to have them
google-searchable. I'm fairly sure the yahoogroups heidegger list stuff
comes up in google searches...

> In short, it's fine that you set up a heidegger list (or any other list
> for that matter), but before proposing that your Topica list is a
> simulacrum of the Spoon list (which it clearly is not) you should make
> sure that you know and that people on the present list know exactly what
> one is getting involved in.

Fine: and thanks; I set this up in order for there to be something (rather
than a possible nothing) available before the dissolution, and I called it
'experimental' because it might need to be a temporary home for the list...

> Before precipitously creating and
> committing to some host I would recommend looking around, doing some
> research, and finding not just some place that will host a heidegger
> list (there are scores of such places) but on that will host the list in
> a manner that suits the members.

Not sure anything has been precipitous yet, or committed: we can change
where we end up, but the vanishing of this list is just a few days away. We
need to have a list in hand just to discuss these very issues (you raise) of
where to go next etc that suits the emembers, otherwise the 'we' turns into
a ragbag of 98 email addresses. I thought it best to act quickly before the
axe comes down.

But I agree that some research is needed to possibly find a better host and
I shall engage in some myself; in the meantime, at least we can still be
something of a 'we'.

Thanks, Reg, for bringing up these important matters. Perhaps we need to
conduct some kind of collection of heidegger-list members' requirements for
an alternative list host, and then such research might not be too open-ended
but be rather more focussed? What does everyone think?

reg-ards

michaelP

> reg
>
> michaelP wrote:
>
>>Hi every one, just in case the automatic invitations, to join the new
>>attempt at a heidegger list to carry on (perhaps) after this one dissolves
>>in a week or so, have not gotten you all, if you wish to join and see if it
>>suits you, then please do the following:
>>
>>send a blank email to a particular address, of which this is everything
>>except the asterix -- please substitute the letter "u" for the asterix [the
>>reason for this is according to malgosia, that if I (as I have several
>>times!) use the s-word (s*bscribe) then the server-thing at spoon thinks it
>>is a request to the server and not a message to the list...]; the address:
>>
>>ThinkHeidegger-s*bscribe@xxxxxxxxxx
>>
>>Hope this is clear ;-)
>>
>>regards
>>
>>michaelP