Re: "Letter on Humanism"--Reading 11

"This sudden lighting is the
Augenblick, or the moment, which should be taken to mean (in another of
his metaphors), being flashes like lightning in the dark and illuminates
everything, but only briefly, and then darkness again falls. To unite
these metaphors, the constant daylight of reason and science threatens to
make impossible the flash of lightning. We can busy ourselves with our
daily lives and practical affairs and never transcend this world."

This seems very good, but the problem for me is that the "transcendence" you
talk about needs to be better exhibited. When you get to what Heideggerian
transcendence means, it's very differeng from the "other worldly" Christian
sense. The "wholeness" of the whole, the electrons or clouds by which the
lightning manifests itself seems to arise out of a certain fullness of
being, through being, through the acceleration and clarification of
existential projection (though certainly not of curiosity or technical
enframing or bedazzlement). I'm not sure why I'm pointing this out. I guess
because we don't grasp what Heidegger is after if we include things like
"our daily lives" along with technology. On the contrary, it is by
exhibiting our daily lives in their everydayness that the ontological
significance of them can come to light. So this "transcendence", which may
have a "lightning flash" sense, but which might also have a continuity
(dwelling in the fourfold) is a kind of "augmentation of being". Perhaps the
very notion of "transcendence" is a problem here.

---

"It is only after one ceases to reduce public affairs to the business of
dominion that the original data in the realm of human affairs will appear, or,
rather, reappear, in their authentic diversity." -- Hannah Arendt

Tom Blancato
tblancato@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx