Re: juvenilia??? or genitalia ....

Michael said

>I don't know about anyone else, but I was under the assumption
>that this ever so subtle foray into looking at the groundings
>of Heideggerian thought. I don't know what you were reading,
>Mr. Blacker, but I was reading something that in my mind was
>much more respectful and considered than a lot of stuff one
>sees posted on lists like these. Respect (in the snese of
>inheritance as developed by Derrida in "Spectres...") demands
>asking questions, interupting the flow, de-sedminenting the
>existing aura of untouchability that surrounds texts soon
>dead for want of an accurate translation from what was said
>to what can be said.

>Is it absurd and juvenile to think that the fact that a thinker
>has a body and does things with it and is thus affected by its
>condition of reception and arrival into a pre-created world is
>maybe an interesting route of interrogation? If so, I guess that
>we can just discount Lacan out of hand, as well as much of the
>most interesting feminist theory that has been developing in
>recent decades.

>Fear of unmentionables leads to symbolic castrations ... much
>like the act of publically unsubbing because a few words are
>found too disturbing.

Are we really going to let this list devolve into a fight over
whether Chris can use bad words in his posts? Isn't an under-
standing that there is a certain kind of talk that is
'appropriate' a precondition to our learning from one another?
Let's please keep the talk respectful to all, and if chris' posts
offended some of us, I think we can assume that all the members
of this list are resposible enough not to have it happen again.
Mr. Blacker's right about one thing, other lists have been
'ruined' by lesser disputes.

Tony
Catholic University

http://www.cua.edu/~61dowler