Re: Nature of disclosure

On Sun, 16 Jul 1995, Ningzhouszekh wrote:

> I suddenly realized today that many of my difficulties in interpreting
> Heidegger have risen from my inability to understand *exactly* how
> Heidegger is using the verbs "to disclose" and "to revel", as well as
> their derivatives, in BT.

Somewhere in my recent reading of Heidegger I came to this understanding:
To disclose something is to disclose an aspect (in the Wittgensteinian
sense). I point to the skies and show you that the stars can be seen as
a 'big dipper'. Until I show you this, you cannot see it, but my words
disclose it. They show you an aspect of the world, a simple angle on the
world.

On page, 226, notice that he says:

"The way of disclosure in which Dasein brings itself before itself must
be such that in it Dasein becomes accessible as 'simplified' in a certain
manner. With what is thus disclosed, the structural totality of the
Being we seek must then come to light in an elemental way."

My telling you that the stars make up a 'big dipper' simplifies the
possibilities. It would be possible to see this grouping in many ways,
but you allow my words to guide you and you see it in this particularly
elemental and simplified way. My words can disclose the world in this by
bringing you to see and notice what is there. On p. 263, he says:

"Disclosedness is constituted by state-of-mind, understanding, and
discourse, and pertains equiprimoridially to the world, to Being-in, and
to the Self."

..Lois Shawver