Re: BT, Section 45

On Mon, 17 Jul 1995, David Blacker wrote:

> 2) Lois, could you please elaborate your interesting paragraph below:
>
> >On the other hand, I have a problem with our thinking of the
> >authentic/inauthentic model as though these were based on a real (i.e.,
> >metaphysical) distinction in reality rather than an uncovering of a
> >dimension of experience based on this creative metaphorical language.

Just as Heidegger says that discourse discloses the world, so his
discourse in B&T discloses the world, but to disclose the world is to
simplify it, to show a particular aspect of the world, to bring a
perspective on the world into the light. I have written about this in
another post or two on tis list tonight. As I say there, I am
particularly struck by quotes such as:

"The way of disclosure in which Dasein brings itself before itself must
be such that in it Dasein becomes accessible as 'simplifed' in a certain
manner."(226)

But to simplify is to disclose one aspect while hiding another.
Therefore, to disclose is also to hide. I don't know if I can find that
anywhere in Heidegger, but I bet it's there. Anyway, that's my reading.

..Lois Shawver