Re: division two, chapter i

On Thu, 20 Jul 1995, David Schenk wrote:

> Now, in connection with the worry I raised about the ontological ground of
> the possibility of shifting from inauthentic to authentic existence and
> vice versa, perhaps I can clarify. I am not inquiring as to what
> phenomenological experience preciptates such a shift. I am asking what in
> the ontology of Dasein, what fundamental structure of Dasein, makes such
> shifts possible and _thus_ how they are precipitated. These shifts are
> manifestly contingent, but the ground of Dasein's authentic and
> inauthentic modes are necessary ontological structures of Dasein. Surely
> Dasein's ability to exist in either mode at any given time must also be
> grounded in its ontology. So my question is, what in the ontology of
> Dasein makes possible the existentiell-ontical shifts from one mode to the
> other? I should think Heidegger owes us an explanation for at least this
> much.

I am trying to imagine what you're looking for and having trouble. I
can't identify with your sense of dissatisfaction here, or quest. Are you
imagining that Dasein has a structure like Kant's categories, and that
some contingent event would precipitate moving into another structure?
Could you elaborate a bit more? What it is you want from Heidegger here?

..Lois Shawver