Re: division two, chapter i

On Sat, 22 Jul 1995, Lois Shawver wrote:

> I am trying to imagine what you're looking for and having trouble. I
> can't identify with your sense of dissatisfaction here, or quest. Are you
> imagining that Dasein has a structure like Kant's categories, and that
> some contingent event would precipitate moving into another structure?
> Could you elaborate a bit more? What it is you want from Heidegger here?
>
> ..Lois Shawver

Not only am I imagining Dasein to have a fixed structure, I am quite
convinced that it does, at least on Heidegger's account. So when I posed
my question, I was asking what _ontological_ element of Dasein makes it
possible for Dasein to ontically shift from authentic to inauthentic
existence. Both authenticity and inauthenticity are grounded in fixed,
constant, ontological structures of Dasein, and so they in themselves
will never be enough to explain how it is that Dasein can have these
contingent shifts in its basic ways of being. So there must be something
else in Dasein's fundamental structure whereby this becomes possible.

Does that make any more sense?

Sincerely,

David Schenk.