Re: Ereignis; A good commentary found

> On Wed, 21 Jun 1995, mitch wrote:
>
> > 1. D. F. Krell translates the word "Ereignis/ereignen" as "propriates". This
> > word was concealed by all dictionaries to which I turned for a definition. I
> > assume that ereigenis is related to the root "eigen" and to the word eigenlicht
> > keit [i don't know any german ], but i still don't exactly understand what MH
> > is doing with this term and why Krell translates it as "propriates". My guess
> > would be that "propriates" somehow describes the process through which Being
> > manifests itself to Dasein such that Dasein can inhabit Being as its own,
> > proper environment; this is to distinguished from Authenticity in which Dasein
> > uses his own initiative to grasp Being as its own, proper Being. Does this
> > seem like an appropriate appropriation of "propriation" or can someone shed
> > some light on that which still remains concealed in my revealing?
>
> Joan Stambaugh offers "appropriative Event", which Otto Poeggeler uses
> when he writes in english. Krell is suggesting the connection (in
> latinate languages) between proper/propre (own) and eigen, the german
> word for own (as in one's own). Heidegger himself suggests this as early
> as 1919, when he writes "Er-eignen", to make it one's own. The normal
> word "sich ereignen" means to occur; the nominative of this verb,
> "Ereignis", means event, in the sense of a "grosse Ereignis" or big
> event. Thus Stambaugh's "appropriative Event" for "Er-eignis."

Krell: propriate
Stambaugh: appropriative event
Kisiel: properizing event
Sheehan: empropriation

Guess you've "arrived" as a Heidegger scholar when you invent
a word for Ereignis.
Note that Heidegger uses Ereignis to mean various things at
different times. E.g., the Ereignis of 1919 is different from
the Ereignis discussed towards the end in Time & Being.

Pete
paf@xxxxxxxxxx http://www.webcom.com/~paf/pete.html