Re: Ereignis; A good commentary found

> h people
>
> i translate "ereignis" with "emergence" in the volume of poeggeler essays
> i finished last year for humanities press. i hope it will go some way
> toward clearing up the usage in english; it gets at what heidegger had in
> mind about being, though it sacrifices some nuances of the german.
>
> jb

Interesting, but could you elaborate? How does translating Ereignis
as emergence get at what Heid had in mind about being? Emergence is
not a bad translation for being as phusis... Ereignis is meant to
describe the structure of being's emergence into intelligibility;
thus, for all their awkwardness in English, propriate,
empropriation, enownment, etc. have the virtue of communicating
something of the structure of the event implicit in Heidegger's
usage. That is, I take it, the reasoning behind this attempt to
translate a word Heid called untranslatable (or, as untranslatable
as 'Tao'). So why 'emergence?'
Anybody else have any favorites?
Iain