Re: on the other hand...

Well, I find Chris's posts on authenticity good and to the point. But I would
like to come at it from a slightly different angle. In the Origin of the Work
of Art, Heidegger presents the following description of the peasant woman and
her shoes.

"The peasant woman wears her shoes in the field. Only here are they waht they are. They are all they what they
are. They are all the more genuinely so, the less the peasant woman thinks
about the shoes while she is at work, or looks at them at all, or is even aware
of them. She stands and walks in them. That is how shoes actually serve."

Heidegger here is speaking about the authenticity of the shoes, as it is given