Re: IMPORTANT ISSUE: homepage away from home

On Mon, 16 Oct 1995, Dr.Holt Meyer wrote:

> > Readers of http://falcon@xxxxxx/~rwendel/ beware!
> >
> > That web node is repetition with a difference, but hardly
> > in a Derridean vein: R or A Wendel stole my compilation
> > of texts, my translations and even my own writings and
> > offer them under their address, replacing my name with
> > theirs. Of course, once texts are on the net, they are in
> > the public domain. I mention the fact only to heighten your

[...text cut...]

> > What kind of netiquette would permit this kind of theft?
> > A simple link would have provided access to the same
> > information, only without effacing my name. If effacing
> > my name is the intention, then it is no longer a case of
> > clumsy flattery, but a particularly hostile act. What
> > do you think of this? Answers and reactions are welcome.

Unfortunately, this is the nature of the beast. The WWW has no laws on
copyright, whatever can be viewed can be downloaded and then put on one's
own page. However, if you have proof of translation (copyright for a
hardcopy format) then this can be pursued in the courts, it is still a
violation of copyright. But, if it comes down to "your word" versus
"theirs" then there is no action to be taken. One suggestion is to set up
a password system which allows you to screen people who access articles
on your page. This would allow you to give access only to those who you
feel would not abuse the system (i.e., steal original material), also,
this would allow you to "trace" culprits when they do (and they will)
steal material.

Good luck

-------
LFowler