Re: Care in B & T

To Leonard Plunkett internet: plunk@xxxxxxx
Career Services, The University of New Mexico (505) 277-2531

At 11:20 AM 17/10/95 -0600, you wrote:

>G'a.m. folks: can anyone volunteer any information, secondary sources
>that makes some (good or bad) references to Section VI, "Care As The
>Being of Dasein". The is the last section of Division I and I'm having a
>difficult time. So bear w/me please.

See Neil Everndon's _The Natural Alien_ U. of Toronto Press, 1985, ch 3, p 63:
".. [Heidegger] describing us as a being for whom Being is an issue and
whose way of relating to the planet is through 'care.' "
".. if we could conceive of a 'field of care' or 'field of concern,' we
might have a means of gaining partial understanding of Heidegger's
description of human being. His term is not 'field,' however; it is
'_Dasein_' ('Being-there'), and 'the Being of Dasein itself is to be made
visible as _care_.' [B&T, pp 83-4] We know a territory by the actions of
its occupant; we know _Dasein_ by the evidence of care."

In this discussion Everndon also makes reference to George Steiner's
_Heidegger_ (London: Fontana/Collins 1978) p18 and William Barrett's
_Irrational Man_ (Garden City: Doubleday Anchor 1962) pp 218-9.

Freda Kamstra
c/o fdavies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx