Re: Sartre...

On Thu, 26 Oct 1995, adam wrote:

> Being new to the Heidegger list, and to philosophy in general, I was
> curious to find that there was no Sartre mailing list. Is there a
> reason for this? Do people hold the philosophy of Heidegger in higher
> esteem than Sartre's?
>
> Curiously,
>
> adam.
>

> --- from list heidegger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ---

Yes (I do). If one devotes a serious amount of time reading the major
works of both philosophers (Being and Time + Being and Nothingness) one
is hard pressed to find anywhere Sartre exceeds the master. This is not
to belittle Sartre, he was a formidible thinker, no doubt, but it is
perhaps a mistake to think that his philosophy replaces Heidegger.

eric