Re: care & Dasein

First, let me apologize in advance for all my splling errers.

Nik. I agree with Chris about death and Dasein. The death sections in
B&T are pretty straightforward about this, I think, but I don't know how
well I can summarize them here. Death is Dasein's completion, it is not
just one of the possibilities Dasein presses forward into, it is the
termination and completion of all those possibilites, and thus is the
moment in which Dasein finally ceases to be "in advance" if itself. So,
what I think you mean by Dasein's "structure" is something like what for
Heidegger would be Dasein always verging on the new, on something that
lies outside and just ahead of it. Death is not a part of this
structure, but is its terminus and completion.

I think that to understand this would be also to understand the nature of
care, and why angst is privileged over love for Heidegger. There is a
great meditation on Heidegger's notion of death in the early writings of
Maurice Blanchot, which have taught me a lot -- especially his essay
"Literature and the Right to Death," which is in _De Kafka a Kafka_, and
has been translated and anthologized a couple of times.

In an earlier post, which looks kind of loopy to me now, I tried to link
Dasein's "possibility" with Aristotle's "praxis," in a hope that we might
trace a path from the ontic to the polis. Maybe this makes more sense now.

Michael Harrawood