Re: Heidegger, Bacon, Science

On Thu, 7 Sep 1995, Christopher Stewart Morrissey wrote:

> > So far as I know, Faulkner is right about Heidegger's not having
> > examined Bacon's writings closely. Does anyone have any information to
> > the contrary? And does anyone have any comments on Faulkner's criticism
> > of Heidegger's diagnosis of the origins of modernity?
> It's hard to see how Bacon's "self-conscious plan" presents any difficulty.
> I suppose Heidegger would say: How could have Bacon conceived of his plan
> if he hadn't already forgotten Being? Didn't his forgetfulness of Being
> already make him "self-conscious"?

I would like to join in on this conversation, but I would like to know
where in this text you are reading "Heidegger's diagnosis of the origins
of modernity". This is a book on my shelf that I have not yet read, but
it is a very readable book and if you will just point to the place...

..Lois Shawver