Re: Heidegger, Bacon, Science

On Mon, 11 Sep 1995, Iain Thomson wrote:

> All of which raises another question: would Heidegger have
> been as disparaging about 'America" and "Americanism' if he had some
> firsthand acquaintence with our thinking? (His position on the
> French certainly mellowed after he started teaching in France...
> anonther contextually overdetermined statement Heidegger made is the
> famous line about the virtues and deficiencies of French and German
> for thinking--does anyone remeber the exact phrasing?)

According to Poeggeler, Heidegger's opinion about America improved in the
50's and 60's, when he acknowledged that America was not hegemonically
positivist and that some corners of thinking existed. I would guess we
have Richardson, Stambaugh, and Gray (is he American or English?) to thank
for our improved standing in the world-historical pecking order.

As for the exact phrasing of the line, no, but it can be found in the
Spiegel interview; it runs approximately: German is a language for
thinking. All my french friends tell me so.

Chris