RE: Heidegger, Bacon, Science

Lois Shawver wrote (Sept 12/95):
"Today we operationalize language in order to measure reality that will then
be studied with statistical procedures (experimentally or otherwise). This
gives science the power to invent reality as well as study it. A simple
example, and I think it is one of the originating examples of this kind of
thinking, is Binet's IQ test. .... If anyone here has any historical
information on the process of operationalizing reality before there was a
theory about it, I'd be most interested."

I've been interested for many years in the way scientists tend to invent
reality as they study it. They turn beings into mere being-less things.
Henri Bergson in Creative Evolution (1911 - Arthur Mitchell translation)
stated that the intellect, skillful though it may be in dealing with the
inert, is "awkward the moment it touches the living." (Chapter 2, section:
The Function of the Intellect)

Logos becomes Words becomes Tools.

Have been enjoying this discussion.

.. Freda Kamstra