Re: RE: Heidegger and Marx: Reply to Iain Thompson

Lois,

I want to reply to this in detail. I think there are some serious problems
with your view here, though I think your intentions are good. I think
authenticity might need two components: death-possibilizing and freedom from
threat. Given the condition of threat, the Jews might not have been able to
"make it" to authenticity in certain senses. The kind of death that Heidegger
speaks of is not "counting the hours", but "death as death". The preconditions
for this are not simply to get death into view, but the kind of thinking that
does this. There are many ways to bring death into a certain "view", but these
do not all count as an authentic and "proper" engagement. I want to develop
this more if you are interested. Heidegger doesn't develop the "freedom"
theme, I think.

Regards,

Tom Blancato

Lois Shawver writes:

>On Wed, 27 Sep 1995, Eric C Puryear wrote:
>

>> I find it difficult to find the Nazi in Heidegger--
>
>If authenticity requires a consciousness of the possibility of not-being,
>that is of one's own death, then one might foster authenticity by increasing
>people's consciousness of the possibility of their deaths. Very few
>victims of the holocaust fell into idle talk while noticing the
>possibility of their own deaths.
>
>Just a thought.
>
>..Lois Shawver
>

> --- from list heidegger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ---

---
There is no path to peace. Peace is the path.

Tom Blancato
tblancato@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Eyes on Violence (nonviolence and human rights monitoring in Haiti)
Thoughtaction Collective (reparative justice project)