[mpisgmedia] RE: Question regarding housing and NGOs in India.

Jamie,
My perspective on relief and reconstruction is inappropriate to express at the moment. I am copying this ml to two lists (<http://mail.architexturez.net/mailman/listinfo/in-enaction> and <http://mail.architexturez.net/mailman/listinfo/mpisgmedia>) and maybe someone else can help you find an agency. thanks for your words about the book, if you pass through Delhi we could meet.
Gita

From: "Jamie Osborne" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Question regarding housing and NGOs in India.
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 02:22:45 -0800

1/1/04

Dear Gita Dewan Verma,

Happy New Year! My name is Jamie Osborne, I am a design student with a
background in electical engineering and rehabilitation. I will be traveling
in india between february and july 2005 with my girlfriend, Michele
Friender.

In 2003, we traveled extensively in India. I found your book, "Slumming
India" in a great bookstore in Hyderabad, and read it throughout the
journey. I have great respect for your expertise and perspective.

I'm writing you out of the blue to ask a favor. I am looking for NGOs that
focus on affordable and accessible housing. I would like to volunteer my
time with an agency that is working to help in the post-tsunami
reconstruction efforts. Do you know of any groups working in this area?

I currently work for the Center for Accessible Technology (www.cforat.org).
Through my work in rehabilitation, I have been able to work on a wide array
of design projects from bathroom and entranceways to websites and software
interfaces. Most recently, I was a design consultant for Berkeley?s Ed
Roberts Campus (www.edrobertscampus.org), a building that will champion
concepts of universal design while housing nine disability-related
organizations. I have also consulted with Hearth Homes
(www.hearthhomes.org), a bay-area organization that designs and develops
affordable, accessible residential units.

I would also love to get your perspective on the best way for someone with
my experience to assist in the relief work.

Thank you very much for your time.

Cheers.

Jamie Osborne
Center for Accessible Technology