[mpisgmedia] mumbai-model pilot-project: VP Singh support

Former PM VP Singh was in Kalkaji Extn yesterday,
exhorting residents of the slums being surveyed there
to demand relocation to the mumbai-model project site.

Following is the text of the letter I have sent him
and others today:

-------

Shri V P Singh
Former Prime Minister
1, Teen Murti Marg
New Delhi - 110001

Sub: Your rally-call for 12/05/05; Mumbai-Model
pilot-project in Okhla Industrial Area; and survey
notice in Nehru, Navjiwan and Bhumihin camps in
Kalkaji Extension

Dear Sir,

I am told that at a meeting in Kalkaji Extension
yesterday Jan Chetna Manch inspired residents of
above-mentioned camps to demand, by force of lathis,
resettlement in / claim to the above-mentioned
pilot-project and gave rally-call for 12/05/05.

I write to bring to your attention that Mumbai-Model
– first announced for Delhi after your meeting
with Urban Development Minister in October 2002
– and such are part of draft Delhi Master Plan
(DMP) 2021 and, I understand, relocation of these
three camps to the pilot-project is already approved
by MoUD and DDA at instance of Mr Sajjan Kumar (and
the courtesy of public-notice for survey presumably
also owes to that intervention). In effect, JCM is
forcefully demanding implementation of a draft DMP2021
proposal that has already been approved and announced
– while mandatory Public notice inviting
objections and suggestions for 90-days on draft
DMP2021 was issued on 08/04/2005.

I am compelled in equal measure by a sense of
hopelessness and by personal regard to write about
this to you and to those whom I am copying this letter
to. I enclose copies of our letters to DDA VC in the
above matters – in our view, for whatever it is
worth under the circumstances, there is no case for
relocating the three camps outside of the sub-zone and
a pilot-project for housing on village land in
industrial area is undoubtedly illegal.

Yours sincerely

Gita Dewan Verma, Planner

cc:

Mr Sajjan Kumar, MP and Standing Committee and DDA
Advisory Council member

Mr A B Bardhan, General Secretary CPI and UPA-CC
member

Mr Prakash Karat, General Secretary CPI-M and UPA-CC
member

-------

MPISG letter of 08/05/05 about mumbai-model
pilot-project is at:
http://mail.architexturez.net/pipermail/mpisgmedia/2005-May/000343.html

Translated text of MPISG letter of 06/05/05 about
Kalkaji Extn slums is in the next post.