[mpisgmedia] DMRC penalised for punctuality [news report - IT Park case]

| if punctuality is virtue, DMRC has been wicked
| did not punctually reply in 2-weeks from 13/04/05
| came to court on 23/05/05 punctually, but
| with only month-old notification to wave.
| and it has n-o-t been penalised, just asked to reply

| (how come I am s'posed to be the one like a brat?)

| For the record, I have not spoken with the reporter.

-------
Pioneer, 01/06/05
DMRC penalised for punctuality

Abraham Thomas/ New Delhi

The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) is facing
music for being punctual. Having kept its deadline for
building the Information Technology park in
trans-Yamuna, they have been dragged to the Delhi High
Court for flouting the DDA guideline on land use.

The discrepency seems to have crept in because the
leviathan Delhi Development Authority (DDA) failed to
carry out the promised change of land use from
agriculture to commercial in time.

The land in question measures about six hectares of
land in Shastri Park area in north east Delhi. In the
petition filed before the High Court, Gita Diwan Verma
has sought to challenge the action of DMRC stating
that the activity carried out by them is illegal,
particularly since the proposed area is on the Yamuna
riverbed.

In her petition, petitioner alleged that DDA had
issued a public notice on September 18, 2004 wherein
the authority invited objections and suggestions on
the proposal to change the land use at the proposed IT
Park site from agriculture and water body to
commercial. Based on the notice, the petitioner
submitted her suggestions objecting the said proposal,
a reply to which has not been received till date.

Moreover, the petition refers to the Draft National
Capital Region Plan 2021 which has recommended
protection of Yamuna riverbed as ground water recharge
area.

The petitioner through her counsel KG Gopalakrishnan
pointed out, when the proposal is still under
consideration, how could the DMRC go ahead with the
proposed construction. Finding merit in this
submission, Justice S Ravindra Bhatt while issuing
notices to the Delhi Government, DMRC, Union Urban
Development Ministry and DDA, sought a reply from each
of these agencies.

DMRC on its part has claimed it has acquired the
requisite permission from the concerned authorities.
The DDA gave a post-facto land use change approval to
them based on which DMRC proceeded with the
construction. The court however has asked DMRC to
produce all approvals along with its reply by August
29, the next date of hearing.

The park design proposal has already got the clearance
of the Delhi Urban Arts Commission (DUAC). Even the
Delhi Government has granted it a Special Economic
Zone status alongwith declaring it an environmentally
viable project.

Since its inauguration in April 2005, the DMRC is
racing against time to finish the dream project by the
end of this year. The project, which aims to concur
with the theme of making Delhi a world class city has
already been sanctioned a lumpsum of Rs 240 crore out
of a total outlay of Rs 2400 crore