[mpisgmedia] Sunset for Sunday book bazaar

HT, front-page, 25/06/05

Death of an institution

Sunset for Sunday book bazaar

Vibha Sharma
New Delhi, June 24

For many it means the abrupt end of a chapter of easy
delight. The four-decade-old book market at Daryaganj
held every Sunday is being shut down by the Municipal
Corporation of Delhi (MCD) and the police.

The market is a book-lovers heaven: From the cheapie
to the cheesy ? the Sidney Sheldon pulp to Shakespeare
classics and 'A Max Weber Reader' published by Methuen
at prices you can afford.

"There are more than 200 shopkeepers, for whom the
bazaar is the only source of livelihood. Half the
market has already been cleared," said Sunday Book
Bazaar Patri Welfare Association President Subhash
Chand Aggarwal. Attempts have been made twice earlier.
in 1992 and 2001, to remove the book market.

MCD's HPS Saran said even though the bazaar has been
on for 40 years, it is an unauthorised affair. "The
shopkeepers have given a representation and we will se
how they can be accommodated," he said.

Eminent writer Khushwant Singh is appalled at the MCD
decision. "The bazaar is a real treasure. It has quite
a few books that cannot be found at any of the book
stores. I have managed to find some rare pieces for my
personal collection," he said.

Writer Ruchir Joshi is outraged: "The MCD which is
itself responsibe for some of the most ugliest forms
of architecture, is squeezing every bit of human
activity in the city. Just the atmosphere of so many
people interested in books is so enthralling. I have
found some great gems at the bazaar."

Yahoo! Mail Mobile
http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail

Folow-ups
  • Re: [mpisgmedia] Sunset for Sunday book bazaar
    • From: arunab