Re: [mpisgmedia] High Court Stay on tender for licensing 15 Ha ofriverbed to private developers

Congratulations!

My letter to Commissioner (planning) to respond to my earlier objections on
the Shastri Park

Subject: Stay order on tender for Temporary Amusement Park advertised by the
DMRC.

Ref: Response to Public Notice inviting objections/suggestions for the
Change of Use at Shastri Park

Mr. Jain,
I understand that the court has stayed the tender for Temporary Recreation
Park advertised by the DMRC. To my knowledge there were three public notices
dated 16 December 2002 ( change of use on metro land along metro
corridor),17 April 2004 (Master Plan/Zonal Plan modifications) , 18
September 2004 (Change of Land use in the river bed for metro property
development) related to metro corridor development. None of these notices
specifically mentioned this proposal. In case I have missed the notice for
change of use under section 11A for this proposal, response from the DDA on
my objections/suggestions on the above mentioned notices is still awaited.

This tender invited private sector involvement for the recreation park on
license basis, while the privatization proposal by the DDA is still awaiting
approval. Basis for private sector involvement prior to the approval by the
Centre is thus not clear. Is it on some special permission clauses in the
DDA proposal. Since the media reports were incomplete on the DDA proposal,
is it possible to get a copy of the proposal of the DDA on privatization for
greater clarity?

Further, I think planning fraternity needs to resolve some of the issues
raised through this situation amongst themselves. As you would be aware that
this tender is advertised in the name of Sh. K.Srinath, Chief Planner, DMRC,
and the stay has been granted on a petition filed by planner, Gita Dewan
Verma. Sh.K.Srinath in a Seminar on Spatial Planning Reforms in the SPA
(which planners from the DDA also attended), in March 2005, in response to
the question on whether Metro has compromised on procedures, said the
citizens of Delhi will have to make a choice as to whether they want Metro
or they want law. It is difficult while teaching, to explain such
response by planners in responsible positions in World Class organizations
like the Metro, when these issues are raised by students. I am sure you
would appreciate as a planner, who is also interested in planning education,
as to why this is distressing. Your early reply , therefore, to a planner
like myself will be extremely useful in clarifying these aspects in the
interest of planning education.

Thanks and regards

Sincerely,
Poonam Prakash