Re: [mpisgmedia] Quota ... 100/200 and more!

I was at the Delhi Regional Chapter meeting where Anuj Dayal, metro PR man
made the presentation. Most of the stuff was from the website. but some
interesting highlights from the other side:

after the introduction to how good the metro is for us health wise
(pollution and accident reduction) and how we got funds it goes on to tell
us that the metro adopted a "very pragmatic strategy for rehabilitation and
resettling those uprooted due to land acquisition process".

We were also informed that all this good work is because of the management
style of the Leader and work culture where 'decisions are fast and working
transparent' and ofcourse the CMD is in the office ten minutes before nine!
and he knows how to hire people and he was able to 'insulate the DMRC from
the political and bureacratic interferences'. As an evidence 'case study' of
appointment of general consultants was given where there was some
controversy and the DMRC refused to hand over the Tender papers to the
Ministry for scrutiny to send the message that they can not be bent. Mr.
Dayal also proudly mentioned that till date in all the litigations (I forget
the numbers but I guess around 400) metro has not lost a single case and no
stay has ever been granted!

He went on to talk of some of the controversies that the PR deptt. had to
handle; appointment of general consultants, gauge isolation, rolling stock
and increase in fare chart.

Some of the delays were caused by the initial routing given by the
government which was to Holambi Kalan. We had to change it because a
parallel norther railway corridor was running and also it was primarily
rural! (whither all the promises for relocated and resettled?)

The presentation ended by explaining how the Metro has reduced number of
buses, prevented accidents etc. ofcourse someone from the DDA raised the
issue of availability of studies on the numbers. Another point was raised
that DMRC is working in isolation to which he agreed and said that that is
what is needed. The issue of isolation (in connection to orther rail
network) brought the issue of public money and scrutiny to which he said
that we have managed Metro on time unlike Calcutta because we have gone
forward 'without waiting for approvals'.
On recovery from property development, he informed that the target was Rs.
300 cr. and it has not been recovered (I wonder!) and on the PR budget, he
said there is no budget and there was a slide which said 'Low cost publicity
and advertising'. besides high bbudget advertising only when necessary,
other means of low budget brochures, pamphlets, posters are distributed
during street plays and community interactions organised by the DMRC.
Newspapers are directly approached and some money is spent on entertainment
to the journalists; lunches, dinners and gifts.
and finally, on being asked as to why the public notices are not put on
their website and that does the DMRC not have a stay on finalisation of
tender for the recreation park, and the effective PR he does that none of
such information reaches the newspapers, he reluctantly said yes there is
something like a stay and then he left soon after.