Re: [mpisgmedia] FSI and TDR

Hi Nidhi,

I am not an architect / planner or any of those types
so let me explain my views on these things:-

1) "FSI" is the measure of how much the builder with
the help of his architect and in connnivance with the
various local authorities is able to "overbuild" on
his plot.

This is a highly technical matter so please dont get
confused by all the mathematics and building bye-laws
those professional people will try and confuse you
with.

2) "TDR" is a currency which is passed between
builders and the local authority(s) to allow the FSI
to be expanded. Since the power to create currency
vests with the Reserve Bank of India, people in
building industry have developed their own such
currency. It is printed on Telgi paper (very famous in
Maharashtra) with the blood of slum dwellers whose
properties are bulldozed using the presses of the
State. These lands which would otherwise be developed
with a normal residential FSI (see above) are then
transferred to mall developers (or other endangered
Tigers of Mumbai) and the unavailed residential FSIs
therein are sold (or traded) to allow 8 storey
co-operative societies to scrape the skies with their
30 floors. (Really Gita in Mumbai we do it so much
better).

3) Nidhi, so glad to know you are a journo. I do hope
its not for Gobar Times or similarly earthy
publications. I am most surprised to learn that people
at cseindia.org are admittedly ignorant or incompetent
:)

4) Gita, must clarify:- when i posted about
irresponsible media on RTI in a pollution matter,
didn't expect cse to pick up on it so fast :)

Sarbajit

http://mail.architexturez.net/pipermail/mpisgmedia/2005-August/000482.html

http://www.hindu.com/2005/09/01/stories/2005090109200100.htm

http://www.hindu.com/2005/09/01/stories/2005090111770400.htm