Re: [mpisgmedia] FSI and TDR

Nidhi, sorry, was out.

FAR and FSI are same in principle, respectively % and
ratio of built space to plot area (eg, FAR 100 is same
as FSI 1 and means total built space on plot can be
same as plot area). Together with ground coverage
FAR/FSI guide 'form' (eg 100 FAR with 25% GC means 4
storied building, with 50% 2 storied, etc). The upper
limits are related to density and designed
infrastructure capacity.

I think it was in mid-90s that Mumbai made policy to
allowing higher FSI than normally permissible as
'incentive' to builders (many, including myself,
consider this patently inappropriate). TDR (Transfer
of Development Rights) was a further contrivance that
basically means the 'incentive' can be availed
elsewhere (if not feasible on-site).

Enhanced-FSI / TDR are becoming routine even as there
is no evidence to prove that they have met their
intended objective (of solving the slum problem) at
all, forget efficiently.

can someone from mumbai or SPA please correct errors /
up-date above?

btw, i dont think the query is 'stupid'. i consider
the routine chanting of FSI-TDR serious paradigm-drift
and think it is important to keep questioning its
techno-legal premise basis.

rgds, gita

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs