Re: [mpisgmedia] Are women rights causing urban planning problems?

Dear Mr. Bijlani,

May I humbly say that even the clown has a role to play in a (media) circus. Furthermore sometimes the jesters have the best ringside view and considerable experience. A recent case in point being the healthy and wonderful FSI-TDR thread that is going on here in this list and my initial contribution to the thread.

To the rest of your message:-

I am on this mailing list because I think (maybe I'm wrong) that this list is to discuss urban planning issues reported in the media. Fragmentation of land holdings / renewal of decaying structures and areas (qv. recent Building Collapses in Mumbai) due to archaic succession and tenancy laws would in my view certainly come under the scope of this mailing list.

I do not know Ms. Kishwar or why she is considered to be a reknowned scholar - certainly from the article attributed to her I cannot share that view. As a subscriber to the Indian Express newspaper (print version) I found the said Opinion Editorial (Op-ed) to be sufficiently provocative to share with others on this list who may not have read the said piece. I may also inform you that the on-line version of the Express story is not complete, and several other ladies were interviewed such as Ms. Indira Jaising , Kamini Jaiswal etc. who did not address this problem of testamentary succession which Ms. Kishwar has made the thrust of her piece.

I think the question I had posed "Are Women's Rights causing Urban Planning problems?" to be a valid (although perhaps not very politically correct question at the moment) one for the few members on the list who may be interested. Certainly it interests me in an academic way and I can provide several more such associated issues concerning this such as differential rates of taxation and stamp duty on property transfers registered in name of women and the consequent loss of revenue to government by such benami deals, OR how women in rural areas of Delhi are being deprived of feedstock for gobar gas plants caused by Superior Courts harassing dairy owners. As a staunch constitutionalist I support any provision of law that takes into account preferential treatment for women and children which is not excessively discriminatory.

If I had a one-track mind as you imply, I would turn to the page 3's of all these newspapers instead. :-)

respectfully yours,

Sarbajit Roy

H U BIJLANI <hubijlani@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
you are wandering. initially questioning Indian Express only because it
gives you over view of opinion and then on Kishwar for no rhyme and reason.
Try and absorb all what different people have to say and then make up your
mind- unless you have only a one track mind.HUB