[mpisgmedia] Prawn malai at Humayun's Tomb? 1857&2005: mangal pandey, humayun tomb, oxford

| Express has two cons reports today:

| Indian national t.a.c.h is planning

...to restore the erstwhile glory of the Coronation
Memorial? It was here in 1911, that George V and Queen
Mary annointed Delhi as the seat of power in the
coronation durbar... UK High Commissioner has also
promised assistance...
http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=149451
(INTACH plans to restore Coronation Park, memorial)

| and union Culture Ministry is planning

...to bring in a set of guidelines for hosting gala
events at ??fragile?? heritage sites? There have
already been two receptions ...one, by the Aga Khan
Trust for Culture, which contributed to rebuilding the
mausoleum, from restoring its waterworks to planting
trees favoured by the Mughals, to the more recent
Blair reception...
http://www.indianexpress.com/full_story.php?content_id=78513
Prawn Malai at Humayun?s Tomb? Reddy?s watching

| both illegal parties at Humayun's Tomb
| are also otherwise flagged, here:

http://plan.architexturez.net/site/profession/awards/akaa/041129
Aga Khan Award ceremony at Humayun's Tomb, 27.11.2004

http://plan.architexturez.net/site/anomie/f/050910
1857 & 2005: Mangal Pandey, Humayun's Tomb and Oxford

Mangal Pandey, hanged in April 1857, was released in
August 2005. British Film Council's contribution of £
150,000 to the film is explained by its British
co-producer: "It criticizes the East India Company,
not the British Government". Already, Indian Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh had dwelled on "beneficial
consequences" of "India's experience with Britain", on
8 July 2005 at Oxford. On 8 July 1858 was signed the
treaty that ended the Indian Rebellion and paved the
way for transfer of power from British East India
Company to British Crown. Isolated incidents, like by
Mangal Pandey, had became Great Indian Mutiny after
the British lost Delhi on 11 May 1857. On 21 September
they recaptured it and a Major Hodson with his 50
Sikhs took Bahadurshah Zafar captive from Humayun's
Tomb and returned with 100 of his men to take the
Emperor's two sons and grandson, whom he summarily
executed. Preparations for re-taking of Delhi by the
British were precipitated on 7 September 1857. On 7
September 2005, Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
and his wife Gursharan Kaur hosted a dinner in honour
of British Prime Minister Tony Blair and his wife
Cherie Blair, at Humayun's Tomb.

The following is the small collection of texts in
which I found these coincidences and more. I am not
history buff, nor war buff. I was looking simply
because I was distressed by our Prime Minister
partying at Humayun's Tomb, not once but twice (as
Chief Guest of the Aga Khan on 27 November 2004 and as
host to Tony Blair on 7 September 2005), even though
such partying is impermissible in law and despite
protest (in 2004 by myself against re-honouring of a
DfiD funded Indore project amounting to civic disaster
and other interferences in urban development paradigms
and professional practice and in 2005 by a section of
The Left against the Blair visit in view of Iraq and
WTO). I had turned to Google in hope of finding, for
peace of mind, that the association of Humayun's Tomb
with 1857 was insignificant. Now I am aghast.

Of course, my search was far from scholarly and I
would be greatly relieved to be corrected. If,
however, I have stumbled upon something significant, I
wish our History would record, now, who all amongst
those connected with either party at the Tomb and who
all amongst those deciding how our History should be
taught or show-cased are aware of it. This is to
distinguish between those who knew exactly what they
were doing or not doing about the partying at the Tomb
(and ought to answer for their deliberate disrespect
of History) and those who knew not what they did or
did not (and ought to relinquish responsibilities for
minding our affairs for that reason).

| The Indian Rebellion of 1857 | Mangal Pandey, 1857 &
2005 | The 1857 Siege of Delhi | Humayun's Tomb, 1857
& 2005 | Devil's Wind after "Peace Treaty" of 8 July
1858 | Oxford 1858 & 8 July 2005 |

contd/
http://plan.architexturez.net/site/anomie/f/050910