Re: [mpisgmedia] mpd 2021

So now Shiela didi is also inviting private and FDI in housing [just like
Mumbai]. And just like Mumbai they plan to have an SRA scheme in Delhi as
well. I wonder something which has miserably failed in Mumbai, how will it
work in Delhi? In the name of the poor that is!

Gita I remember while working on Guragon cover, you had told me about EWS
plots and their backlog and private builders not serious about demarcating
such plots as per MDP 2001. Even if they do so for instance in DLF plush
complxes what is the certainty that poor people will actually get hold of
those plots/flats and actually get to live there? So we saying EWS scheme
has failed? Mumbai says SRA will work for slumwallahs, when and how no one
knows. Mukesh Mehta came with some brilliant scheme which Dharavi people
have refused to accept (he cant get the mandatory 60% signatures). Whereas
huge malls are coming up all across the city (be it mill land or may be
land also freed under SRA) there is nothing being done to house the poor.
So does the private public partnership really work for the poor???

Govt makes tall claims --- bringing in FDI will ensure more transparency
and break politician builder nexus. Huh! Has anyone looked at any FDI
linked housing scheme for "poor" anywhere in India? What are the
implications? Apart from huge money for private players! I plan to write
about this FDI and housing for the poor. Have been writing about these
issues and wonder if it makes any difference. Sometimes its really
frustrating!!

Anyway about master plan, I really want to share this joke with you which
is the Draft Regional Plan for Bombay Metropolitan Region, 1996-2011. Most
of you in Mumbai must have read it but I laid my hands on it only
recently. So I am dumb struck! Pl bear with me

It recommends, "It is important to recognise that though these projects
[dumping solid waste in creeks] affect wetland, substantial environmental
benefit will accrue and permitting them [in low lying areas near creek]
will result in possible trade-off.." [emphasis on trade off]

Further: "? it will be appropriate to allow salt pans which anyway are not
wetlands in their natural state to be used for some of the critical urban
uses?" [i thot salt pan lands were wetlands because any land where high
tide water comes is wetland.]

And: "The MoEF notification stipulates that in the CRZ III [coastal
regulation zone III], a belt of 200 m width measured from the high tide
line should be designated as a ?no development zone?? Unless these
restrictions are rationalised ? they can hardly be implemented." [emphasis
on rationalised]

And this is MMRDA, the great planning body of Mumbai Metropolitan Region
speaking!!

Nidhi

> Referring to the Commonwealth Games 2010 to be held in Delhi, she said the
> government was racing against time and development in housing was needed
> at a faster rate.
>
> Dikshit admitted that the master plan for Delhi for the year 2000-2021 was
> not only incomplete but had been delayed by four years.

> in this outgoing message.
> Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

Nidhi Jamwal
Correspondent
DOWN TO EARTH
705, Panorama Tower
Prathamesh Complex
Veera Desai Road
Andheri (West)
Mumbai 400058
India
Mobile: +91-9867213234
Email: nidhi@xxxxxxxxxxxx, nidhijamwal@xxxxxxxxx
Website: www.downtoearth.org.in
www.cseindia.org

Folow-ups
  • [mpisgmedia] Mumbai embraces FDI in housing: 100%
    • From: Nidhi Jamwal