Re: [mpisgmedia] [scan] Nursery schools pick up rule ... (another social jurist PIL?)

Here's a cute story in ToI (Delhi) of today

I like the bit at the end where Dr.Chona of DPS group
says:

"We are not under any outward compulsion to do so. But
this is best for the child."

Pehaps its just an "inner voice"

Sarbajit

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1261866.cms

'Good' schools out of bounds for N Delhi
ABANTIKA GHOSH

TIMES NEWS NETWORK[ FRIDAY, OCTOBER 14, 2005 12:51:25
AM ]

NEW DELHI: If you have a kid who is ready to go to
school ? or will be in a couple of years ? this is for
you. Next time you go house-hunting, have a look at
the area-list of reputed schools in Delhi.

Some of the areas to be avoided: Model Town, Kamla
Nagar, Mukherjee Nagar, Kalyan Vihar, Gujranwala Town,
Kingsway Camp. These have literally fallen off the map
of most reputed schools in the city, leaving parents
with little option beyond the neighbourhood schools
which are often of dubious standards.

The other option, which many harried parents say they
have already resorted to for the 'sake of their kids',
is to get a complete set of fake identity papers done
through touts. Most reputed schools have started
attaching a list of "areas covered" with their nursery
admission forms and prospectus.

The maximum "acceptable" distance between the school
and the student's residence is generally about 7-8 km.
Schools like Delhi Public School Vasant Vihar have a
computer program that immediately rejects application
forms if the address is not in the listed localities.

Says a resident of north Delhi who is seeking
admission for her three-and-half-year old daughter,
"For us, the only options are an upcoming school near
the house and Queen Mary's. We had pinned our hopes on
DPS Rohini, but their area list extends only till
Ashok Vihar.

Distance is a factor, but before implementing a
decision like this the authorities need to check
whether there are adequate number of good schools
covering the whole city."

Delhi Public School R K Puram principal Shyama Chona,
however, is clear about why this practice of
restricting admissions to nearby areas has caught on.

http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=151635