Re: [mpisgmedia] [scan] mindset towards hawkers should change [for FDIin retail now?]

In addition to the PIB release,
same tune of no provisions in the Plan etc.... and now the move to Hawkers
Act

Asking the State for problems in implementation to amend the policy
meaning we can have more of sewanagar projects.

Hawkers Inc to get their rights

Vineeta Pandey
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 23:22 IST
The state governments and land developing agencies will now also have to
mandatorarily earmark land space in their Master Plan or Zonal Plans for
street vendors and hawkers. "So far there is no provision for social
inclusion of street vendors and hawkers at the town planning level. At
present, there are no legal bindings on the states in this regard. But we
are issuing instructions making it mandatory to keep space for these
people," said a senior official of the UEPA..........

While the interest of street vendors will also be covered under the National
Urban Renewal Mission, which will take care of basic services etc to them,
states will also need to pass a Hawkers Act which would prevent harassment
of the hawkers by the police and municipal authorities.

The central government is also going to get tough with states not
implementing the policy. The policy was framed to regulate the business of
the street vendors and hawkers in the country but despite a year after its
announcement nothing has happened in this regard.

http://dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=6407&CatID=2