Re: [mpisgmedia] RTI and regulatory bodies and GATS

Dear Poomam,

Based on yr email, I wud opine that information from
ITPI is covered under RTI by the following scenarios:-

1) IF ITPI is substantially (ie. more than 50%) funded
by Govt., OR

2) IF any govt body / authority like say MoUD or DDA
can lawfully access info with ITPI, or call for
information available with ITPI, THEN you could apply
to the said govt body to access the info on yr behalf
and provide it to you. Under this option, ITPI is
treated as a 3rd party and can oppose that information
is sensitive, confidential etc, and if there is any
dispute about the "confidentiality" of the info, then
a reference is to be made to the "competent authority"
applicable - ie, CJI, President, LG, Speaker of LS
etc. concernng the "larger public interest" to
disclose the said info. I have one of these RTI's up
at the moment which may be the test case ;-)

3) Since people are concerned about the costs involved
in RTI, Here are the relevant rules:-

http://persmin.nic.in/RTI/circulars/FeeCostRTI.pdf

ITS BLOODY CHEAP, INSPECTION IS RELATIVELY EXPENSIVE @
Rs.20 per hour.

IF I am buttered up well, I can tell you how to get
reams of Info for FREE under this act - and FAST !!!
(Hint: DONT USE THIS ACT, MISUSE IT !!!)

4) My advice to fellow RTI'ers -

a) Proceed slowly in the initial stages, dont be too
ambitious,

b) allow time for the systems to be set in place and
things to settle in,

c) fight viciously for every right and facility
allowed,

d) dont muck up the field for other people.

e) dont read too much into the act - 4(1)(c) etc are
just gobbledy-dook, harping on these "comfort clauses"
inserted by NGOs, DFIDs, USAIDs etc, is going to screw
up the scene for genuine users and distract from the
positive facilities allowed.

Sarbajit

--- poonam prakash