Re: [mpisgmedia] PA-CCS power, Jansunwayi water (& RTI privatization?)

Water politics:

My Def Col RWA seesm to have gone berserk, in their
latest 4 colour 8 page newsletter printed by
Neighbourhood FLASH people, they are going on and on
about Parivartan's water initiative. Also a letter in
the Express today by Kejriwal.

Where has World Bank refuted all these claims? Is what
Brig R.D,Dhawan claims true, like 84 foreign experts
getting $24,000 per month at salary disbursed from a
WB loan at 12% interest??

http://www.hindu.com/2005/10/18/stories/2005101809710400.htm

> [...]
>
> ------story so far---
>
> [The following is from (note for further information
> accompanying) my s.4(1)c request re NBSAP. I am
> using
> RTI to make requests to authorities to receive
> information (for rectification) of omissions under
> s.4(1)c. (I have not spotted anything in the Act
> that
> prevents this and I do see in what Aruna Roy & Co
> are
> showing serious possibility of s.6 being a waste of
> time for others)]
>
> A national land and water use plan is ostensibly a
> key
> recommendation of NBSAP. In Delhi the ridge and
> riverbed, Biodiversity areas, have historically
> guided
> holistic land and water use planning, with Delhi
> Master Plan and CGWA notifications now providing
> legal
> basis. This is being eroded by the view of river in
> terms of pollution and ridge in terms of forest and,
> on the other hand, delinking of utilities from Delhi
> Development Act regime (notably by converting power
> and water utilities to Boards for shoddy
> privatisation). A striking consequence is illegal
> land
> and ground water use in ridge and riverbed, usually
> at
> instance of Delhi Government (which does not bother
> file replies on these even on court orders). The
> water
> crisis is a symptom of this malaise, headed to
> environmental catastrophe due to ground water
> mining.
> The Biodiversity Act that makes it a duty u/s.36(3)
> "integrate the conservation, promotion and
> sustainable
> use of biological diversity into relevant sectoral
> or
> cross-sectoral plans", besides their own key
> recommendation, required NBSAP partners to support
> Master Plan and CGWA regimes. Instead, some picked
> Master Plan 2021 Public Notice period to divert
> attention from the move to transfer ground water
> control to DJB and focus it on some alleged
> interference by World Bank in appointing Price
> Waterhouse Coopers consultant for road-mapping DJB
> restructuring (in which ground water control by DJB
> is
> obviously central).
>
> In July 2005 newspapers started reporting, nearly
> exclusively, the views on Delhi water and sewage
> project of the NGO Parivartan, identified with RTI
> and
> one Arvind Kejriwal (IRS officer on extraordinary
> leave) and named in KV campaign about Biodiversity
> Rules in 2004. Parivartan demanded abandoning of
> World
> Bank plan in favour of some consultative process.
> Apart from generalities about benefit to MNCs,
> higher
> tariffs, etc, it alleged that inspection of DJB
> records under RTI indicated PwC had been hired as

=== message truncated ===

http://farechase.yahoo.com

Folow-ups
  • Re: [mpisgmedia] PA-CCS power, Jansunwayi water (& RTI privatization?)
    • From: Gita Dewan Verma