[mpisgmedia] the architect of Chanakya Cinema

ToI has a report today on page-7 titled *Chanakya era
ends, here front-benchers were nerds*. starts with
telling about premiere of Mera-Naam-Joker and how Raj
Kapoor nearly lamented his decision to premiere the
film closest to his heart when he arrived at the
*cemented Titanic waiting for take off in the middle
of nowhere* and was relieved to find the 1000-seater
house-ful.

Actually, the 1000-seater was way more than house-ful
and the view from the stage had the architect so
worried about safety that he got off to pace around.
by the time he had chilled my-name-joker had started.
not wanting to barge in and not wanting to be clueless
afterwards, he made his-made way to the projection
room.

PN (Kuki) Mathur, the architect, was on stage because
it was also the premiere of his building.

he told me all this today when i called him, because I
was worried about how he might be feeling about the
NDMC plan *to demolish the old structure and build a
multiplex on the land by floating global tender*. if
any one wants, i can check with him and give his
numbers. 20 years ago I also sorted out his drawings
of 20 years as his trainee, despite stiff resistance
(to both the trainee-ing and the sorting), and recall
relocating sheets and sketches and scraps from various
mixed-use drawers and rolls to a Chanakya-project zone
in his office furniture.

(with no apologies whatsoever for a to-sir-with-love
post; i am completely convinced we would gain
immensely more from floating global tender for finding
teachers, people, like Kuki Mathur than from floating
global tender for substituting his *cemented-Titanic*
with some state-of-the-art multiplex-n-mall)

http://mail.yahoo.com

Folow-ups
  • Re: [mpisgmedia] the architect of Chanakya Cinema
  • Re: [mpisgmedia] the architect of Chanakya Cinema
    • From: subhendu mukherjee