[mpisgmedia] Education Bill: RTI request re Rajya Sabha petition

Shri Deepak Goyal (CPIO) / Sh NC Joshi (AA)
Rajya Sabha Secretariat

Dear Sirs,

On 14.11.2005 I had made a petition to Rajya Sabha in
respect of the Right to Education Bill, 2005.

This was in continuation of my petition in respect of
the Free and Compulsory Education Bill, 2004, on which
Rajya Sabha Secretariat had communicated to me vide
letter dated 22.09.05 No.RS.6(1)/2005-Com.II the views
of HRD Ministry, mainly that it had shelved that Bill
and that my key concerns had anyway been incorporated
in the Bill drafted by the committee constituted in
August 2004 by reconstituted Central Advisory Board of
Education (CABE) and finalised after discussions at
CABE meeting in July 2005 for circulation for views of
states. This Bill was posted on the Department's
website for public comment in October and on 11.11.05
it was reported that the Minister had approved it
without changes. After seeking advice from Rajya Sabha
Secretariat, I had made my petition of 14.11.05, in
which I have raised concerns not only about the
content and premises of the Bill, but also about the
process of its formulation (including composition and
functioning of the Central Advisory Board Committee)
and suggested substantive amendment in the approach to
legislation required by the Constitutional Amendment.

I understand that the National Advisory Council
decided in its meeting of 26.11.05 to constitute a
Sub-Group to propose amendments to the Right to
Education Bill, 2005, and perhaps a GoM is also
examining the Bill.

I am affected, in view of my petition of 14.11.05, by
subsequent decisions for, in effect, reconsideration
of the CABE Committee Bill that was opened to public
comment / petitions. As "affected-person" I request
information under s.4(1)(d) of the RTI Act, 2005,
about:

(a) the status of my petition to Rajya Sabha

(b) normal procedure followed for disposal of
petitions to Rajya Sabha

(c) status of recommendations of NAC (constituted by
Cabinet Secretariat in May 2005 to, inter-alia,
"provide support to the Government in its legislative
business") and GoM constituted to examine the Bill in
said normal procedure

(d) procedure for resolving conflicts between
suggestions in petitions to Rajya Sabha and
recommendations of NAC / GoM

(e) whether NAC / GoM are privy to the petitions to
Rajya Sabha (including mine)

I request you to kindly either refuse or provide me
the requested information at the earliest.

Thanking you,

Yours sincerely,
Gita Dewan Verma, Planner

cc: as per eml of 18.11.05 to send also soft-copy of
petition of 14.11.05

cc: az plan