[mpisgmedia] RTI request re JnNURM (wrt Pune CDP by CRISIL)

Shri M Rajamani,
Jt Secy (UD) / PIO (MoUD)

Dear Sir,

Please refer to my request of 05.12.05 for information
relating to MoUD tender for EoI for City Development
Plans for JnNURM:
http://mail.architexturez.net/+/MPISG-Media/archive/msg00710.shtml
and my request of 21.12.05 for information, under
s.4(1)(d) of RTI Act, 2005, about firms that have
responded, etc:
http://mail.architexturez.net/+/MPISG-Media/archive/msg00738.shtml
In the latter I have referred to so-called
byelaw-reform in Delhi, an exercise based on some oral
orders and 1 cr from USAID for law-making by some
private firms (Tata Research Foundation, Environmental
Planning Collaborative, Sudhir Vohra Consultants and
CRISIL Ltd).

It is now reported that Pune Municipal Corporation has
appointed CRISIL to prepare a CDP for JnNURM:
http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=162978

As MoUD would be aware, planning practice in India is
regulated not by a statutory regime for the profession
but indirectly by planning law. CDPs now proposed (and
practice in their ambit) bears no relation to planning
law. An opportunity for direct regulation by Council
of Architecture had arisen in view of the GATS offer,
in which planning services are proposed through
architectural firms. But for paltry JnNURM funds
municipalities have already started partnering with
firms like CRISIL that, to the best of my
understanding, CoA cannot regulate.

JnNURM thus seems to incentivize, foremost and for
peanuts, de-legitimizing planning practice in all
major cities.

My apprehensions might be misplaced, but the
reluctance of MoUD (and Deptt of Commerce) to reveal
even basic information is certainly marked. I
reiterate my requests with urgency.

Yours sincerely,
Gita Dewan Verma, Planner

Just $16.99/mo. or less.