[mpisgmedia] JnNURM: re designating DDA as SLNA for Delhi / RTI requests

[dispatched by courier on 09.01.06]

Shri M Rajamani
Jt Secy (UD) / CPIO (MoUD) / JnNURM Mission Director

Dear Sir,

1. Please refer to my prior requests under RTI Act,
2005, summarised in and linked from my last dated
03.01.2006, at:
http://mail.architexturez.net/+/MPISG-Media/archive/msg00763.shtml
I urge reply to the same since some information has
been added on MoUD website, but this does not clarify
the issues raised in my requests.

2. I would also like to bring to your attention my
letter dated 18.12.2005 to Hon'ble LG / DDA Chairman
(text included) to urge designation of DDA as SLNA for
Delhi. This is with reference to your letters dated 12
& 15.12.2005 to Chief Secretaries of states / UTs,
added at:
http://urbanindia.nic.in/moud/programme/ud/jnnurm/cs_letters.pdf

I urge consideration of my suggestion and also request
publication of JnNURM communications regarding Delhi,
since its exceptional status vis-à-vis the
Constitution and MoUD obviously requires a
specifically tailored approach.

3. I would also like to point out that new link
labelled "Discussion Forum" is to a static page that
says "If you have any suggestions/comments, please
e-mail them to Mr.A.K.Mehta, Director, at
dir-jnnurm-mud@xxxxxx". Please be so kind as to have
the link label modified or, perhaps, the link removed
since JnNURM seems not to be open to discussion in
MoUD even by resort to RTI. I invite MoUD officials to
join my mailing list for discussion.

Since my emls have not been acknowledged I have no
confirmation of the eml ids provided on MoUD website.
I am, therefore, also dispatching the text of this eml
to you by courier. I hope that you will reply.

Your sincerely,
Gita Dewan Verma, Planner

cc:
* Mr PK Pradhan, JS (DD&L) & JnNURM Coordinator (incl
Delhi), for continuing information wrt (1) and for
information of suggestion at (2)

* Mr AK Mehta, Director assisting JnNURM Coordinator,
with request to take note of suggestion at (2) and wrt
(3)

* For information wrt to (2), vide separate emls
- LG Secretariat
- Chief Secretary, Delhi Govt
- DDA

Text of letter of 18.12.05 to Hon'ble LG / DDA
Chairman

Sub: Request for steps to designate Delhi Development
Authority as State Level Nodal Agency for Jawaharlal
Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission

Respected Sir,

On 03.12.05 has been launched the Jawaharlal Nehru
National Urban Renewal Mission (JnNURM) to "encourage
reforms and fast track planned development of
identified cities".

Delhi is first in the list of 63 identified cities.
The twice-elected Delhi Government has accomplished
already reforms as per the MoA it signed in 2003 to
avail URIF and has been pursuing further reforms on
its own (eg, bhagidari governance, byelaw reform,
national street vendor policy) and with court
interventions (eg, relocation of non-conforming
industries / commercial activities, encroachment
removal, slum re-housing flats). It has also succeeded
in evolving consensus on reforms. There is, as always,
some resistance (notably when people are directly
affected by, say, relocation or demolition or tariff
hikes), but across the political spectrum and
Bhagidari partners there is broad agreement on the
overall approach, to which media and courts are also
responding favourably.

The Capital, clearly committed to reforms, is in no
need of encouragement for this and had inspired the
NURM for 7 mega-cities (as per Chief Minister's
observations on that announcement) that has been
expanded to the JnNURM for 63 cities, which Chief
Minister has identified as a "golden opportunity" (in
reports of 16.12.05). For its other object, viz, fast
track planned development, Chief Minister has said
that Delhi Government is preparing / will prepare a
"Perspective-Plan" (as access to JnNURM funds is
subject to project identification on basis of city
development plans). MCD has also held (on 10.12.05)
hearing / interaction for "Local-Area-Plans" being
pursued as part of byelaw reform. These independent
"plans" of Delhi Government / MCD would be valid only
after amending the Constitution (Statehood Bill, being
pursued since 2003) and MCD Act (Municipal Corporation
(Amendment) Bill, being pursued since 2003). At
present they are:
* contrary to JnNURM object of planned development, as
city development plan for Delhi (inclusive of phasing
for project identification) is sole mandate of the DDA
(on which Delhi Govt and MCD are duly represented and
of which MoUD is nodal ministry)
* unwarranted for JnNURM object of reforms, as draft
MPD-2021 does take into account reforms already
accomplished and underway (and initiatives that have
been problematic are ones in which Delhi Government /
MCD have disregarded MPD provisions)
* improper in name JnNURM, as they undermine the MPD
that arose from precisely that vision of Pt Nehru that
was quoted in launch advertisements for JnNURM.

Under the circumstances, I urge steps for designation
of the DDA as SLNA for JnNURM.

I am aware from personal experience of many years that
unsolicited suggestions under garb of such
representations are considered irrelevant and recent
events show that independent professional views are
considered inconsequential. I make this representation
only out of concern about how history might judge us
for what we make of JnNURM.

Yours sincerely
sd/-
Gita Dewan Verma, Planner