Rajesh

Date:02/01/2006 URL:
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2006/01/02/stories/2006010202440300.htm
CGG bags UNDP project
Our Bureau
Hyderabad , Jan. 1
THE UNDP (United Nations Development Programme) and the Union Government have
selected the Hyderabad-based Centre for Good Governance (CGG) for equipping various
stakeholders with necessary skills in the implementation of the `Right to Information Act.'
The Rs 7-crore project would work for `Capacity building for access to information' in 24 districts spread in 12 States, a CGG press release said here. It would be implemented in three years. "More districts and States will be added as the project progresses," it said.
The CGG had won the project in open competition involving reputed institutes and
consultants. The CGG would act as the National Implementing Agency (NIA) for capacity building of officials, civil society organisations and people's groups with regard to implementation of the Act.
About 5,000 trainers would be trained at State and district levels under the project. It would include research and documentation and essentials of mass awareness campaign. It would also throw light on developing a network of institutions and professionals, supporting the implementation of the Act.
The Centre would work closely with its Pune-based partner YASHADA, civil society
organisations and the Union Government in executing the project.
A two-day workshop was conducted at the Centre on December 29 and 30 to prepare a plan
for the project.
© Copyright 2000 - 2006 The Hindu Business Line
Page 1 of 1
1/4/2006 http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/thscrip/print.pl?file=2006010202440300.htm&date=2...