Re: [mpisgmedia] JnNURM: Kerala (out-dating master plans)

Corporation told to prioritise projects

Staff Reporter

KOCHI: The Corporation council has been asked to prioritise its schemes to
get funds from the Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission
(JNNURM) project...
The Kochi Corporation is in the process of completing the master plan
document, which essentially is the city development plan. Most of the
civic bodies which attended the Bangalore workshop have not even made any
attempts in this direction...
The Mission authorities have directed the Kochi Corporation officials to
include components such as City Investment Plan and Institutional
Profiling in the master plan, which is being prepared by the civic body...
The civic body can seek the support of firms empanelled by the Mission
authorities for these activities, the Corporation officials said... The
Mission authorities reiterated the need for a City Development Plan for
obtaining financial support from the programme.
They also rejected a few project proposals forwarded by the Bangalore
Corporation for funding before the preparation of the City Development
Plan...
Under the Mission programme, 25 per cent of the funds will be released for
the approved projects in the first phase. More payments will be made after
evaluating the progress of the projects... The civic bodies were also
directed to attract private investment to fund the projects. The Mission
will fund 50 per cent of the project cost ...

http://www.hindu.com/2006/01/27/stories/2006012720090400.htm