KOTTAYAM: Environmental activist Medha Patkar has asked Left parties to
take a firm position against the machinations of the World Trade
Organisation (WTO), International Monitory Fund (IMF), World Bank and
Asian Development Bank (ADB)... they should take a position on the issue
of ADB funding for municipalities ... By pumping money into India in the
name of Urban Renewal Mission or River Linking Projects, they are trying
to privatise land and water.
http://www.hindu.com/2006/01/30/stories/2006013014110100.htm

Subject: Re: [mpisgmedia] [in-enaction] gov: VP'ing & thousands
protestagainst [JNURM] From: "AZplan" <plan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, December 10, 2005 2:04 pm
To: "Architexturez: Enaction-L" <in-enaction@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Cc:
mpisgmedia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Architexturez wrote:

> VP Singh & thousands protest against Urban Renewal Mission
> New Delhi | December 09, 2005 7:49:17 PM IST
> http://news.webindia123.com/news/showdetails.asp?id=186412&cat=India
>
> | this popular protest means what?

gods-of-all-things lords-of-small-things protest-n-rally-addicts gathered
for anti-WTO march on 13 occupying themselves with fillers.

JNNURM answers precisely their purportedly pro-poor demands (in-situ slum
upgrading, implementation of national hawker policy, etc) besides their
desire to eliminate professional planning.

our matured democracy (pranab mukherji just said it is, at some media-do
on democracy-development-n-inclusion) indulges such purported protest by
purported people. also indulges MPs like Kuldeep Nayar (I did not know he
was MP) joining inane pastimes outside Parliament instead of representing
us inside. also indulges claims of continuing representation by raja-sahib
VP Singh PM for 9m 15 years ago and of extended representation by
*leaders* like Patkar. Hindu report has cute pic (obviously not of
thousands-of-people; the cop looks cute):
http://www.hindu.com/2005/12/10/stories/2005121006431200.htm

In another filler, ridge-bachao-andolan that Medha Patkar is to lead
against Vasant Kunj Malls or, rather, in support of illegal Ridge Park
between malls and Vasant Vihar (outside notified ridge, both justified by
orders of 96-97 in Supreme Court matters arising from a letter of Kuldeep
Nayar) has become yet again PIL in Supreme Court:
http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=160817

btw, Kuldeep Nayar lives in Vasant Vihar, where first LAP under
USAID-sponsored Bill (byelaw-reform!) is happening, by EFN Ribiero &
Associates:
http://www.hindu.com/2005/12/10/stories/2005121021000300.htm

the only thing that JNNURM, paltry incentive fund for all major cities to
reform, unequivocally does is delegitimize the planning profession. JNNURM
antics of eternally-eminent-elders who have done much to drive the
planning profession to whorehouse are disgusting. even pimps, I am sure,
would have more grace.

- gita