Re: [mpisgmedia] The Hawkers Proliferation.The Economics, Nuisance & Impact of this problem.]

I agree with the ooze-free view. As consultant to hawkers and resident of
Vasant Kunj I had approached RWAs with nearly identical propositions in
2001 to solicit support for efforts of hawkers to get space in markets as
per their entitlements in the statutory Master Plan solution. (RWAs and
hawkers had happily made joint efforts and also progress, but ladies-NGOs
got PM and Urban Dvpt Minister to assign govt to their fancy
policy-making).

The additional facts I had pointed out then were: (a) we cannot expect
residents to stop patronising hawkers because cost and convenience
advantages are compelling; (b) complaints to municipal or police
authorities are more likely to lead to extortion opportunities than
solutions; (c) non-governmental initiatives involving payments from
hawkers, like RWA passes, etc, are also extortion; and (d) intervention of
residents in affairs of hawkers would be unlawful if not coordinated with
efforts of hawkers for lawful solution by the authorities.

Now there is national hawker policy (on MoUEPA website). It has some
useful things, notably the idea of NGO-free ward level committees with
resident and hawker and municipal and police representatives and
recommendation of space for hawkers via development plans. It is open to
interested residents and/or hawkers to directly approach authorities to
form committees for solutions in ambit of law and policy.

The major problem now is the NGO-govt nexus.

- gita