[mpisgmedia] City slams slum stinker as LMC, SUDA fight it out

http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=177972
City slams slum stinker as LMC, SUDA fight it out

Tarannum Manjul

Lucknow, April 14: As infectious diseases spread their fangs in the city’s
urban slums, a tussle to pass the buck is spreading equally fast between the
Lucknow Municipal Corporation (LMC) and the State Urban Development
Authority (SUDA).

But SUDA officials were quick to express their helplessness. “Under the
Union government’s National Slum Development Programme, we are responsible
for maintaining these urban slums, for which we got Rs 1 crore for every
city, including Lucknow,” SUDA director Diwakar Tripathi said. “But the
scheme drew to an end last year, and gave way to the National Urban Renewal
Mission. Now we have to give a 25-year perspective plan for all city slums
to get the funds. And since the earlier scheme has ended, we cannot do
anything in the slums.”

On the other hand, LMC officials said their work is cut out as SUDA has been
given the responsibility for the maintenance and upkeep of these city slums.
“It’s no use...two agencies working on the same project,” Additional
Municipal Commissioner Santosh Kumar said. “Though all these slums come
under our municipal jurisdiction, we work (there) only when other agencies
are not working.” Meanwhile, the stink flows on.