[mpisgmedia] NURM: Are we stakeholders for namesake? Ask councillors, people // NURM? What is that, ask garam B’loreans

*NURM: Are we stakeholders for namesake? Ask councillors, people * By
Prathima Nandakumar DH News Service Bangalore:
*The burgeoning seams of Bangalore City might have compelled the State
government to moot the merger of the seven City Municipal Councils (CMC)
with the City limits. *
The burgeoning seams of Bangalore City might have compelled the State
government to moot the merger of the seven City Municipal Councils (CMC)
with the City limits.

However, the voices from these suburbs remain drowned literally. The public
hearing on Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM) held for
the K R Puram and Mahadevapura CMCs on April 24, managed to attract only a
handful of unprepared, curious Councillors and hundred odd furious citizens.

What transpired between the various stakeholders and the organisers (the
DC's office) was too little to be quantified.

<https://www.online.citibank.co.in/portal/citiinforms.jsp?form_id=frmAcquisitionChat&Site=Deccanherald&Creative=Copy&Section=ROS&Agency_Code=DBS&Campaign_Code=RCAO&Product_Code=RCA&eOfferCode=DEHCO180>
The NURM presentation was followed by angry residents screaming for basic
amenities.

The presiding officer tried to explain the purpose of the meeting, which
fell on deaf ears.

"We insisted on a few things like more green space, curbing unauthorised
construction and revival of betterment charges as the CMC is grappling with
huge tax losses and dearth of funds. The next on agenda is of course the
Cauvery water supply," said Chandraiah, Ward 2 Councillor from K R Puram.

"The national highway needs to be widened to ease traffic jams. The new
flyover needs modification to establish link roads to our villages,"
suggested another Councillor from K R Puram.

However, the residents from K R Puram were eager to highlight the area's
overflowing pot of woes. "If you ask us, the area needs Cauvery water as
most borewells have gone dry and the tanker supply remains erratic and
unsafe. Pits make for sanitation as the locality lacks underground drainage.
Whatever the NURM is aimed at, we will soon launch a public campaign for
better facilities," says T D Ramakrishna, a welfare association member in
Rama Murthy Nagar.

Says Anjanappa, another resident, "We want all properties to be regularised
as it will streamline development.

At present, we have unplanned layouts as the various government departments
like revenue and BDA, and the local bodies are creating confusion among the
people. Who is to earmark green spaces, common facilities like community
hall, stadium, health clinics or schools?"

Lack of planning

The first NURM meeting suffered due to lack of planning, allege many
Councillors. "Both the people and the Councillors turned up for the meeting
with a blank head," said a CMC official.

"The meeting hall had bad acoustics and the voices echoed. Most part of the
presentation was Greek and Latin to us. An orientation meeting was necessary
so that we could prepare for it. We hope to discuss and draw better plans.
But is it possible now," asks Chandraiah.

Says G Mallikarjuna, AEE of Mahadevapura CMC, "Luckily for our CMC, we had
held a primary meeting and drafted a plan. Our major concern is the
underground drainage facility and encroachment along the lake beds. We also
want the BDA-owned plot to be developed as a public garden. With increasing
IT activity here, we are facing huge traffic and flyovers, road over bridges
and underbridges have become inevitable."

Interestingly, Nagaratnamma, ex-president of Mahadevapura CMC, who attended
the meeting believes that the CMC has all amenities. "We have no major
problems in our CMC and, hence, did not demand anything."

The last meeting may or may not be the final public meeting in the CMCs
which have a stake of Rs 1,154 crore in the Central package.

But the common man and his elected representatives are keeping their fingers
crossed hoping that they don't remain 'namesake' stakeholders.

*HAVE YOUR SAY*

In a bid to help cities find their own standing, the Union government
unveiled the JN-NURM in December 2005. As many as 63 cities have been chosen
to receive central assistance for infrastructure development and basic
services to the urban poor over the next 7 years.

Deccan Herald, in this special series, highlights different aspects of the
JN-NURM. You can have your say in the City planning under the project and we
will publish them. Send your responses with name, address, phone numbers to
editor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or fax it to 25880523 or post it to Deccan Herald,
75, MG Road, Bangalore-1.

*NURM? What is that, ask garam B'loreans * By Shubha Narayanan DH News
Service Bangalore:
*Even as the Union Government's Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal
Mission (JN-NURM) has brought hope to the crumbling city, with its Rs 6,034
crore urban development package, those in the CMCs, who are fighting for
basic 'roadu, poweru and neeru' , still remain ignorant about it. *
"I don't know of NU...er...what?"

Even as the Union Government's Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal
Mission (JN-NURM) has brought hope to the crumbling city, with its Rs 6,034
crore urban development package, those in the CMCs, who are fighting for
basic 'roadu, poweru and neeru' , still remain ignorant about it.

Dayanand, a young Democratic Youth Federation of India (DYFI) district
treasurer made a frustrated plea outside CMC Bommanahalli office,
proclaiming, "We do not need an inefficient CMC. Give us a chance to
participate. We will decide what our priorities are, we will chart action
plans, we will evaluate the projects."

<https://www.online.citibank.co.in/portal/citiinforms.jsp?form_id=frmAcquisitionChat&Site=Deccanherald&Creative=Copy&Section=ROS&Agency_Code=DBS&Campaign_Code=RCAO&Product_Code=RCA&eOfferCode=DEHCO180>
When pointed out that what he has just asked for has already been provided
under the NURM, it drew a blank stare. "NURM? What?" asked this resident of
Vajpayeenagar.

The question on NURM elicited the same sheepish response from Bommanahalli
CMC president Krishnappa.

"I don't know about this scheme," Krishnappa confessed. The awareness
regarding JN-NURM is dismal among councillors and public alike in CMC
Bommanahalli and CMC Rajarajeshwarinagar, despite the fact that public
involvement is a compulsory clause in the reform scheme.

As per the investment plan of the JN-NURM, the seven CMCs have been
allocated a total grant of Rs 1,154 crore, which by simple average, amounts
to approximately Rs 165 crore. However, Bommahalli cou-ncillors seemed more
preoccupied with issues like encroachment, drainage and problems of revenue
pockets, rather than chart out action plans to meet future needs.

"The Bangalore Development Authority (BDA) has taken over sanction powers,
and over 75 per cent of the properties are either BDA approved layouts or
revenue pockets. We are left with no powers to plan," complains M
Lakshamana, Councillor of Ward 31.

"We want the government to regularise properties and bring it under our CMC.
Only when this is done, can we participate in preparing any kind of future
development sch-emes," adds Muniram, Councillor of Ward 30.

Leader of the opposition Gopal Reddy of Ward 16 knowledgeably nodded when
questioned on the NURM. "It has something to do with the green belt, isn't
it?" Reddy asked.

At Rajarajeshwarinagar CMC, President Indrani Kumar and Chairman of the
Works Committee Govind Raju claimed ignorance when asked about NURM.

However, Accounts Superintendent Ramachandrappa said that he has got
instructions to start "fund-based" accounting, in order to avail of central
loan.

Rajarajeshwari CMC Commissioner D L Na-rayan, who is now in-charge of
Bommahanalli (in place of Bommanahalli CMC Commissioner Uday Shankar who is
on sick leave), said he has conducted one meeting in both the CMCs to
educate councillors on NURM. Around eight-ten councillors in each CMC
participated in the meeting.

"We do not have any definite schedule on holding similar meetings in
future," the CMC commissioner added.

*PLANS FOR CMCs UNDER NURM*

No of City Municipality Councils: 7

No of slums: 153

No of households: 81,842

Population: 3,15,798

Houses to be constructed: 37,830r

Allocation for housing: Rs 662 crore

Allocation for infrastructure: Rs 300 crore

Allocation for asset creation: Rs 192 crore