[mpisgmedia] Reddy-sir-says I must change mindset (Del Spl Act text-book?)

| First good ole schools of planning join mission

| Now good ole missionaries wanna school planners

| with lessons from the siege of Delhi!

Use of technology for urban planning is imperative,
says Jaipal Reddy

Special Correspondent

The Union Minister has said that planners have to
change their mindset

Making use of technology for urban planning was an
important component of the National Urban Renewal
Mission, Mr. Reddy said. The Union Government did not
want repeated problems, such as those faced in Delhi
because of unplanned development. Without a macro
approach to urban planning, similar difficulties might
be faced in other cities. ...
Brigadier M.V. Bhat, Deputy Surveyor General, Survey
of India, said survey maps, juxtaposed with aerial
maps, could help urban planners. ...
Brig. Bhat said the Survey of India had taken up
mapping of 138 cities and towns and would conduct
courses for town planners and others on making
effective use of maps by interpreting the data
gathered. These activities were part of the national
map policy of the Union Government, he said.
V. Suresh, Chairman, Good Governance India, said urban
population accounted for 70 per cent of the GDP, and
proper living space needed to be provided. Urban
planning had to take into account villages surrounding
a city and their land use. It was necessary to
identify water bodies in and around urban areas
through GIS to avoid floods

http://www.hindu.com/2006/05/26/stories/2006052610800500.htm